The Record No 0151

The Record No 0151 is another hand-me-down tool. This too was a little rusty and most of the original paint had been warn off. The right handle was also broken, which is a pity because this is a lovely tool.

I decided to use this tool as a guinea pig. With other tools in the passed I have used vinegar, sandpaper, wire brushes and elbow grease to remove the rust and old paint. But I had read on the good ol’ internet that electrolysis was a great way to remove rust. All I had to do first was build/setup the equipment I needed for this. I had pretty much everything laying about the workshop. So here is what you need:

  1. Bucket type container
  2. Rebar
  3. Copper wire
  4. Steel wire
  5. Car battery charger
  6. Water
  7. Soda Ash (This was the only thing I had to buy)

To build The Machine you place 4 rebar bars in the container, I placed one in each corner. Then hold them in place by drilling holes at the top of the container near the bars and looping copper wire through. Then connect all 4 bars together with more copper wire. Fill the tub with water and add some soda ash. Take whatever you are cleaning and hang it on the steel wire and suspend that in the middle of the water. Connect your battery charger, negative to the steel wire and part you are cleaning and positive to the rebar. Turn it on, grab a beer and let the magic happen.

The spokeshave took about 2 hours to clean up and when I removed it from the container all I had to do was wipe it down with some steel wool and that was it. A light wipe with some WD40 to stop any flash rusting and then I could move onto sharpening.

Sharpening the blade was hard work. The back was not anywhere near flat so the sanding started and continued for some time. As for sharpening, this blade does not fit in the honing guide I have so it all had to be done by eye. Not a bad result, could do with a little more work though.

I then took to painting the spokeshave in my favourite red and reassembled everything.

I must say, I am happy with the result and even happier with how quick this all came together. I am definitely going to use this process again and the next tool in line is my Stanley Bailey No 7.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *